Saturday, March 1, 2008

ABCs and the Twinkley Star - The Secret is Out

I have just noticed a shocking similarity in the tunes of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and the common tune used for the English alphabet (and French, I believe).


  A  B    C   D   E  F   G
twinkle twinkle little star
 H  I  J  K     L M N O P
how I wonder, what you are

Q   R  S      T   U    V
up above the world so high

  -W-    X      -Y-   Z
like a diamond in the sky

now  i  know my  A  B   Cs
twinkle twinkle little star

next time won't you sing with me
how   I     wonder, what you are


Shown above is how the lines and syllables line up. Note especially on line two how the I and I line up. Naturally, the melodies don't quite work at the LMNOP section, but this was necessary to squeeze those letters in. The key here is that the tunes are the same even down to pitch. Sing each line and try it out.

Now, what I want to know is

A) which one came first?
B) and is there another song with the same tune?

If somebody can find me an answer to either of those questions, I'll let him or her do a guest post to my blog, provided they can come up with something witty, thought-provoking or original.

[[update: I've just discovered that Baa Baa Black Sheep has the same tune as well, and it is extremely easy to find in Google. If you want to do a guest-post, I'll need something else.]]

0 comments: