Monday, March 3, 2008

Ds and Days in English and French

Okay, you're all going to think I'm nuts for noticing this one, but here it is:

Background knowledge:

  • In English, "D" is pronounced "Dee" or "Di".
  • In French, "D" is pronounced "Day".
Then, let us look at days.
  • In English, the first day of the work week is Monday.
  • In French, this same day is called Lundi.
Anybody who knows any Latin or French can tell us that "Mon" and "Lun" both refer to the moon. That, however, is beside the point. The point is in the second half of these words:

Mon
DAY
LunDI

The rest of them end in the same thing for the most part - Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday... Mardi, Mercredi, Jeudi.

Near the start I showed the pronounciations of the fourth letter of the alphabet in both languages. Observe now, as I have, that "D" in one language is the second half of the names of the days in the other language.

Congratulations. Our existance is meaningless. It's all my fault. I apologize.

2 comments:

Gretchen

March 4, 2008 at 7:53 PM

Actually, the "di" in French is ultimately from the same root as the English "day." (See also e.g. "diurnal" from Latin.)

The varying pronunciations of the letter D have a different explanation, which I'm not going to get into here.

Neat post though, I'm proud :D

Malcolm

March 4, 2008 at 10:22 PM

Well, I assumed they were from the same root. It's interesting that the french now use "jour" for "day" itself.