Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Among things that make me question human intelligence...

...or at least that of my peers, is how people behave during Cadets at my school. We have mandatory cadets here, which consists of marching and standing (a lot) and a bit of classroom work for most cadets and some music for the band members. Now, however, the classroom periods have subsided in favour of practising for the annual review that we will have in 10 days or so. Daily, instead of sports, we go outside and do cadets. Everybody hates it.

The thing is (and I don't claim to be the only person nor the first person to realize this) if people tried during the first run-through, they'd get it, and we wouldn't do it again. It's not very difficult. My peers feel a need to protest, though, so they slouch, and look around, and talk, step out of line, and just generally make nuisances of themselves. Thus, we don't perform the drill well and have to do it again. People get more fed up with having to do it again that they slack off even more. Eventually, they realize that by playing along, they can leave sooner (read: at all).

However, if people didn't start out predisposed against cadets and they actually tried in the first place, we'd have to practise the whole thing about 4 or 5 times total, rather than 20+.

On thing I remember is a fellow in front of me who would perpetually complain about the many other productive things he could be doing. He is right, but the very fact that he's saying it proves that he hasn't learned patience. There is actually a small paradox there, in that the only people for whom there is nothing to learn (assuming patience is the only thing and they already have it) are the people who would never speak up about it.

After doing the same thing over and over, I actually got to the stage where I would call out the timing for moves I wasn't even doing, just to make the timing louder so that it gets over quicker. I've got patience, but that doesn't mean I won't try to speed things along.

0 comments: