Monday, May 12, 2008

Control

I'm currently reading Lord of the Flies for English class, which is likely why the theme of control is hiding in my subconscious and decided to make a peek out earlier today. I saw an extremely tiny bug, and considered reaching over and squishing it, then I suppressed the urge and wondered what the urge was founded in in the first place.

What part of the human psyche is satisfied by squishing the bug?

Having just done a bunch of questions on Lord of the Flies, I was inclined to think that it is related to feeling in-control of our world. The interesting thing is that by consciously resisting the urge to squish the bug, I felt in control of myself. I'll let you in on a secret – controlling the world without being in control of yourself does not work well at all.

0 comments: