Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Uni-Palette Colours

Palettes are great. That could be a post in itself except it's not original enough and I refuse to put much up here that I didn't think of. Also, the title suggests more. This observation is not one that I alone have made, but it is something I just thought of this evening when I learned (from ColourLovers) about wear palettes: a blog that documents the palettes of all colours used on some fashion site.

The term "Uni-Palette Colours" refers to colours that can be worn with just about anything and still look good. These are typically

  • Black
  • White
  • Denim

Off-white or beige works sometimes as well, as can navy blue, but they don't have the same ubiquity as those three main ones. The question is, why are these so prevalent, and why do they work? One can argue that for black and white it is a matter of being all colours or no colours. Denim, however, is just a vague shade of blue combined with a texture. I believe that it fits this category only because we're so used to it that we don't really ascribe any colour or importance to it anymore.

I'm now wondering about my term "uni-palette". It was derived from the term "unisex"... but I never liked that one anyway. Perhaps to be more accurate I should say "pan-palette" or "poly-palette"? They have better alliteration too.

0 comments: