Sunday, February 8, 2009

Resolutions & Habits

I just decided to reassess my resolutions and lessen them somewhat, mostly because I'm not acheiving them anyway and might as well adjust them so they are reasonable - which will help me focus better. I read an article by a blogger I'm fond of and realized I had made way too many resolutions.

I am starting a new habit today though - meditating 10 minutes before sleeping each night. This said to choose a trigger - something you do every day, after which you do the new habit. I eventually realized that there are only about 3 things I do every day:

  1. wake up
  2. eat breakfast (actually, I don't on weekends)
  3. go to bed
Everything else is either optional or very indefinite in time or duration. The problem with the first two is that they frequently have to be in a hurry. This (waking up earlier) is another habit that I want to change, but I'll do it later.

As for the meditating, I know of a few ways to do it including technology like Holosync and just trying to clear your mind, but a new technique I've found says just think "in" as you breathe in, and "out" as you breathe out. Repeat. I shall try it tonight.

0 comments: